Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,005 pages of information and 227,378 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1821 The Brentford Gas Company was incorporated by Act of Parliament. Its main works were on either side of Brentford High Street, with a long frontage to the River Thames.
Due to its location, expansion of the works was limited.
1868 the company built a new works adjacent to Montague Road, in Southall.
1870 The company took over the Norwood (Middlesex) undertaking and closed down its works.
1915 Brentford Gas Co. took over the Staines and Egham District Gas Co., whose works were at Staines - these were kept in operation
1915 Acquired the Sunbury Gas Consumers Co. and closed its works.
1924 Acquired Harrow and Stanmore Gas Co.
1925 Acquired the Richmond Gas Co. whose works remained operational until 1933.
1926 Taken over by the Gas Light and Coke Co.
Between 1929 and 1935 the whole of the Brentford works were rebuilt. The Brentford works were still in operation by 1957.