Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,442 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Henry Dickenson Marshall (1840-1906) of Marshall, Sons and Co
c1840 Born at Manchester, the son of William Marshall
1851 Living at Back Street, Gainsborough (age 10 born Manchester) with parents and brother. 
1862 With his brother James Marshall they took over the running of Marshall, Sons and Co.
1871 Living at Lea Road, Gainsborough (age 30 born Manchester), Assistant Managing Director employing 521 men and 85 boys. With wife Mary Ann (age 28 born Gainsborough) and children Emily E. (age 6), William Ernest (age 4), Henry John (age 4), Cate M. (age 3) and Percy James (age 1). Three servants. 
1881 Living at Lea Road, Gainsborough (age 40 born Manchester), Assistant Managing Director. With wife Mary Ann (age 38) and children Emily E. (age 17), Henry J. (age 14), Kate M. (age 13), Percy J. (age 11), Mary H. (age 9), Herman D. (age 8), Ada E. (age 5) and Ethel B. (age 1). Also cousin Gertrude Brown (age 24 born Everton nr Bunsting). Four servants. 
1881 President of the Agricultural Engineers Association
1891 Living at Carr House, Lea Road, Gainsborough (age 50 born Manchester), Mechanical Engineer. With wife Mary Ann (age 48) and children Kate M. (age 23), Percy J. (age 21), Mary H. (age 19), Hermann D. (age 18), Ada E. (age 15), Ethel B. (age 11) and Mabel A. (age 8). Also Governess, two visitors and four servants. 
1901 Living at Carr House, Lea Road, Gainsborough (age 60 born Manchester), mechanical Engineer and employer. With wife Mary Ann (age 58) and children Kate M. (age 31); Herman D. (age 28), Mechanical Engineer, Manager of department; Mabel A. (age 18). Also Louisa Woolvine (age 38 born Horncastle, Lincs), his cousin. Three servants. 
1906 Obituary 
HENRY DICKENSON MARSHALL was born in Manchester on 5th May 1840. When quite an infant he was taken to St. Petersburg, where his father - Mr. William Marshall - had an appointment. At six years of age he returned to England and began his school-life in Manchester.
Two years later his father purchased a small engineering and general millwright's business in Gainsborough, and the son completed his education in that town, starting in the works as an apprentice at the early age of thirteen. Operations were at first conducted on a very small scale, but eventually 1.5 acres of land were purchased, and on this the nucleus of the present works was erected in 1855-56.
In the following year Mr. James Marshall, the eldest son, became a partner of his father, the firm being then styled William Marshall and Son, a title which was changed to William Marshall and Sons four years later, when Mr. Henry D. Marshall was also taken into partnership.
Before he was twenty-one his father died, and eighteen months later, in 1862, the business was formed into a private company, with Messrs. James and Henry D. Marshall as joint managing directors.
In those days Gainsborough was a small country town, whose principal industry — the building of small ships — was decaying. Today Messrs. Marshall's Works employ no less than one-fifth of the total population of the town, which has trebled itself within the history of the firm.
Originally devoted to the construction of small agricultural engines, thrashing machines, etc., the firm now turn out stationary engines of over 1,000 horse-power. Altogether over 80,000 engines have been produced at these works, and about a similar number of boilers of all kinds. Other large departments deal with the manufacture of tea-preparing machinery, grinding mills, gold- dredging plant, etc.
He was deeply interested in technical education, and the firm co-operated with the County Council in the provision of qualified teachers at the large class-rooms and art studios built in connection nth the works. In local affairs he took a keen interest, and had been a member of the County Council since its formation in 1899, and a Justice of the Peace from 1892.
He was elected a Member of this Institution in 1885, the same year in which the Summer Meeting was held in Lincoln, and on that occasion his firm entertained the Members on their visit to Gainsborough. In 1889 he was elected a Member of Council, which position he held continuously until near the close of last year when the state of his health led him to resign. He was also on the Councils of the Royal Agricultural Society and the Agricultural Engineers' Association, being a Past-President of the latter body.
His death took place at his residence in Gainsborough, on 8th March 1906, in his sixty-sixth year.
1906 Obituary 1906 
1906 Obituary