Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,804 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Henry G. Richardson and Sons

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Wordsley Glass Works, Stourbridge, West Midlands

1720 Wordsley Flint Glass Works established.

1829 Webb and Richardson at The Wordsley Flint Glass Works.

1836 Became W. H., B. and J. Richardson - William Haden Richardson, Benjamin Richardson (I), Jonathan Richardson.

1841 William Haden Richardson bought the White House Glass works from Thomas Webb.

1842 Engravers included John Northwood, Edwin Grice, Thomas Bott, W. Joseph Muckley, Philip Pargeter, T. Guest. (9 designs registered from 1847 to 1851).

1852 W. H., B. and J. Richardson declared insolvent; Philip Pargeter left to set up on his own.

1854 The works re-opened under Benjamin Richardson; many of the craftsmen who had left the company returned (12 designs registered from 1854 to 1858).

1871 Philip Pargeter left the firm and Henry Gething Richardson, son of Benjamin, joined; the firm then became Hodgetts, Richardson and Sons.

1880 Benjamin Richardson left the Partnership with William James Hodgetts and Henry Gething Richardson[1]

1881 The company was taken over by Henry Gething Richardson; William James Hodgetts retired from the company which became Henry Gething Richardson[2]

1887 Benjamin Richardson's concerns were taken over by his grandsons, becoming Henry G. Richardson and Sons.

OR

c.1897, Henry Gething Richardson went into partnership with his sons, Benjamin and William Haden Arthur Richardson, and the firm then became Henry G. Richardson and Sons.

1897 The new company of Thomas Webb and Corbett was founded and took over the White House Glass Works at Wordsley, near Stourbridge.

1914 Dissolution of the Partnership between Henry Gething Richardson, Benjamin Richardson, and William Haden Arthur Richardson, carrying on business as Glass Manufacturers at Wordsley Glass Works, near Stourbridge under the style or firm of HENRY G. RICHARDSON AND SONS, so far as regards Henry Gething Richardson. The firm was continued by Benjamin Richardson and William Haden Arthur Richardson[3]

1922 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Domestic and Fancy Glassware, Illuminating Glassware, Mounting Glassware. (Stand No. G.44)

1930 Taken over by Webb's Crystal Glass Co, and moved to its Dennis Glassworks.

1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Lighting Units for every purpose; Table Glass for every occasion. (Electricity: Industrial and Domestic Section - Stand No. Cb.613)

The name was still occasionally used by Webbs until late 1960s (33 designs registered from 1882 to 1928).


See Also

Loading...


Sources of Information

  1. London Gazette 9 July 1880
  2. London Gazette 30 August 1881
  3. London Gazette 30 October 1914