Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,099 pages of information and 210,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Henry John Girdlestone

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Henry John Girdlestone (1824-1897)


1897 Obituary [1]

HENRY JOHN GIRDLESTONE, younger son of the late Rev. William Ewen Girdlestone, of Kelling Rectory, Norfolk, was born on the 18th August, 1824.

At the age of seventeen he was articled for five years to Mr. James Simpson, Past-President.

He was then employed under Mr. T. Earle on the contracts for the South Staffordshire Railway, the wall at the Trinity Buoy Wharf and the foundations of Chelsea Suspension Bridge.

From 1857 to 1863 he was engaged under Mr. John Addison as Resident Engineer on the Cannock Mineral, the Mount Sorrel and the South Leicestershire Railways.

In 1864 he entered into partnership with his cousin, Mr. J. W. Girdlestone, with whom he practised in London for thirteen years. During that period he was engaged on Parliamentary work, and in surveying and setting out railways.

In 1877 Moule’s Patent Earth-Closet Company was formed, to work improvements in earth-closets devised by his cousin, and of this Company Mr. Girdlestone became Engineer and Manager. He held that post until his death, which took place at Highgate on the 15th May, 1897.

Mr.Girdlestone was elected an Associate on the 4th February, 1862, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information