Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,996 pages of information and 212,786 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Henry King Hiller

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Henry King Hiller (1866-c1946)


1948 Obituary [1]

"HENRY KING HILLER was a gas engineer during the whole of his professional career which extended to sixty years.

He was born in 1866, and after receiving his education at the Liverpool Institute became, in 1882, a pupil at the Liverpool United Gas Light Company's works under the late Mr. William King, M.I.C.E. After five years' training he continued with the gas company as a draughtsman until 1891, when he became manager of the North of England branch of Messrs. W. Sugg and Company, Ltd., gas engineers, of Westminster.

Two years later he was appointed assistant engineer to the Shanghai Gas Co, and in 1895 received the appointment of chief engineer to this important undertaking. During his term of office the works of the company were entirely reconstructed and large extensions made, which necessitated the construction of 20 miles of new mains. He relinquished this position in 1910, and went into practice as a consulting engineer in Westminster. In the same year he was invited to investigate and report on the possibilities of gas supply in Manila; and in 1914 visited the Canary Islands for the same purpose.

In 1911 he was commissioned to report on the natural gas deposits in British Columbia, and two years later he joined the board of the Colonial Gas Association, Ltd.— a position he held until his death. Distribution of gas in all its aspects was a subject in which he was particularly interested, and several other gas undertakings, on whose boards he served, benefited by his knowledge and experience. Mr. Hiller continued to be actively engaged up to the time of his death, which occurred on 27th October 1946. He had been a Member of the Institution since 1899.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information