Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,989 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Hereford, Ross and Gloucester Railway was 22.5 miles long, from Grange Court junction to Hereford. It linked Hereford and Gloucester via Ross-on-Wye.
1851 Parliament passed an Act allowing the railway's construction.
1855 The line opened on 1st June as a broad gauge line. It ran from Hereford to Grange Court, where it joined the Gloucester and Dean Forest Railway - the line that connected the Cheltenham and Great Western Union to the South Wales. It had three tunnels, several big bridges, over the Wye and the average gradient was 1 in 70. 
1862 Amalgamated with the Great Western Railway.
1869 Converted to standard gauge.
1873 the Ross and Monmouth Railway was opened to Ross-on-Wye.
1964 Closed to passengers on 2 November 1964; freight services between Ross-on-Wye railway station and Grange Court railway station continued until 1 November 1965.