Model of pithead equipment, shown at the 1851 Great Exhibition. Presented in 1858 to the forerunner of the Science Museum by John Wales, Collier Viewer, and now at Sunderland Museum
The Hetton Coal Company of Hetton Lyons, County Durham
1820-22 Built five locomotives under the guidance of George Stephenson for their private railway line - Hetton Colliery Railway
1844 Nicholas Wood became manager of the company's collieries - see Hetton Colliery
1896 Sir James Joicey purchased the Lambton Collieries from the Earl of Durham and formed a separate company Lambton Collieries. The output of the Lambton pits was 3,000,000 tons per annum.
1900 Two more locomotives built
1911 The Hetton Coal Co was merged with the Lambton Company and the name changed to Lambton and Hetton Collieries.
Sources of Information
- British Steam Locomotive Builders by James W. Lowe. Published in 1975. ISBN 0-905100-816
- Aberconway Chapter X