Invergarry and Fort Augustus Railway
of 186 West George Street, Glasgow
This line ran through the Great Glen from Spean Bridge to Fort Augustus on the Caledonian Canal
1896 The company was incorporated in August.
1903 The line, 24 miles 4 furlongs in length, was opened for traffic on July 22nd.
1933 The NBR's successors, the LNER, withdrew pasenger trains, but a weekly coal train continued until 1946.
1947 Line closed
A four-span lattice girder bridge crossed the River Oich. Its girders were scrapped, but the castellated concrete piers remain.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- Encyclopedia of British Railway Companies by Christopher Awdry. Published 1990