Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,171 pages of information and 233,417 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1858 TREMENDOUS CONFLAGRATION. ENORMOUS LOSS OF PROPERTY.
The most extensive and fearful conflagration that has happened in the vicinity of Limehouse for several years past took place about ten o’clock on the night of Saturday last, and was not wholly extinguished at seven o’clock last evening. The scene of this terrible disaster was an extensive space in the Commercial-road, Limehouse, upon which were erected the manufactories and stores belonging to Norway-wharf, the property of Messrs. T. and W. Forrestt, boat builders, the whole extending upwards of 200 ft into Britannia-place, whilst they were nearly 200 feet broad. The premises were bounded by the property belonging to Messrs. B. and W Dixon, timber merchants, in Norway-place, Dalton and Co., mast makers, Mr. D. Mangles, ship chandler, the Island Lead Mills, belonging to Messrs. K. and A. Patchford, and about 20 houses in Island-row, the London and Blackwall Railway running completely through the premises just enumerated. ... '
1874 Bankrupts: 'Edward Beaumont Pitchford and Alfred Thoms Pitchford, lead manufacturers, Island Lead Mills, Limehouse.'
1882 Advert: 'George Farmiloe and Sons, sole agents for the PATENT AMERICAN GUN-METAL VALVES, suitable for hot or cold water. Also agents for the American Drawn Lead Traps, &c.- 34 St. John-street, West Smithfield, E.C., and Island Lead Mills, Limehouse.
Location: On land bounded by the Regent's Canal Dock (Limehouse Basin) and Limehouse Cut, north of Stepney Electricity Works at Blyth's Wharf.