Isle of Wight Railway
of Sandown, Isle of Wight
1864 August 23rd. The Isle of Wight Railway (IoWR) was opened. It had a total length of 14.5 miles from Ryde to Ventnor and a branch line from Brading to Bembridge. It had junctions with the Isle of Wight Central Railway (IoWCR) at Smallbrook Junction and Sandown. The section between Ryde St John's Road and Ryde Pier Head was built and owned by the London and South Western Railway and the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway, but was operated for them by the IWR and IWCR. 
The IWR headquarters was at Sandown. This was the most successful railway on the Isle of Wight, with heavy summer passenger traffic from the mainland.
1860 The company was incorporated.
1908 The company owns 14.75 miles in length of line. 
Sources of Information
-  Wikipedia
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908