Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,459 pages of information and 233,880 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sir James Farmer & Sons of Adelphi Iron Works, Salford
1852 Company established - possibly Farmer and Broughton
1869 Dissolution of the Partnership between James Farmer and James Broughton, as Millwrights and Engineers, at the Adelphi-street Iron Works, in Salford, in the county of Lancaster, under the style or firm of Farmer and Broughton
1874 Supplied equipment for the new Ironworks for the King of Burmah, located on the Irrawaddy, about 12 miles from Mandalay. The main contractor, Claridge and Co, found it necessary to sub-contract significant parts of the plant to James Farmer and Sons. This seems surprising, given that Farmer & Co were better known for specialised textile machinery. Their supply included blast furnace blowing engines, a punching and rail straightening machine (see illustrations), blast furnace hoists, wire drawing and tube-making plant including furnaces, draw benches, straightening, screwing machines, etc. The wire-drawing and tube-making plant was powered by a pair of engines of 16" bore, 2 ft stroke, made by Farmer & Co 
1885 Gold medal for invention of machinery for treatment of town refuse
1894 Sir James Farmer and Sons was wound up voluntarily. Andrew W. Farmer was Chairman of the meeting
1895 Incorporated as a limited company.
1900 Numerous types of machines and vessels being produced for the textile finishing trades 
1914 Engineers. Specialities: machinery for bleaching, dyeing and finishing cotton goods; linoleum and floor cloth machinery; copper and steel tube and wire drawing machinery. Employees 200. 
1917 Advert. Engineers and machinists to Calico printers, dyers, mercerisers, bleachers, finishers, embossers etc. 
By 1917 William John Norton was managing director
1922 An Extraordinary General Meeting of Sir James Farmer and Sons, held at High Royd, Honley, near Huddersfield, decided to sell the business of the Company to a new Company, and that with a view thereto the Company was wound up voluntarily; George Newbery, of Adelphi Iron Works, Salford, near Manchester, Secretary to the Company was appointed liquidator. George P. Norton was Chairman of the meeting.
Subsequently became Sir James Farmer, Norton and Co