Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,857 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

James Richard Fletcher

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

James Richard Fletcher (1849-1906)


1906 Obituary [1]

JAMES RICHARD FLETCHER, born at Newcastle-on-Tyne on the 3rd October, 1849, obtained his practical training under the late Mr. Robert Morrison, at the Ouseburn Engine Works, and subsequently under the late Mr. John F. Tone.

During 1871 he acted as Assistant Resident Engineer on the Newcastle and Gateshead waterworks, and in the following year he obtained the appointment of Chief Assistant in the Girder Department of the Thames Ironworks. He retained this position until 1874, when he joined the staff of the North Eastern Railway as Chief Assistant to the Resident Engineer of the Northern Division, in which capacity he designed and superintended the construction of viaducts, bridges, dock-gates and jetties; extensive doubling works; the strengthening of the high-level bridge over the Tyne, of Langley Moor viaduct, and of bridges at the Central Station, Newcastle; the erection of new superstructures at Durham, Ouseburn, and Willington viaducts, and other work.

In 1899 he was appointed Engineer in charge of the Newcastle district, and held this position until his death, which occurred suddenly on the 15th April, 1906, in his fifty-seventh year.

In 1901 Mr. Fletcher was elected President of the Association of Students of the Institution centred at Newcastle-on-Tyne, on which occasion he delivered an address on the development of the railway system in Northumberland and Durham.

He also contributed in 1899 a Paper on "Standard Load-Gauges on Railways" to the Proceedings of the Institution.

Mr. Fletcher was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 2nd February, 1875, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 17th January, 1899.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information