Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,161 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Sim (1884-1947)
1947 Obituary 
"We announce with regret the sudden death, on Monday, October 20th, of Mr. James Sim, B .Sc. (Eng.), chief draughtsman of G. and J . Weir, Ltd., Cathcart, Glasgow. Mr. Sim served his apprenticeship with Fullerton, Hodgert and Barclay, Ltd., of Paisley, and after further experience with the Mirrlees-Watson Company in Glasgow joined G. and J . Weir's staff in 1909. "
1949 Obituary 
"JAMES SIM, B.Sc. (Eng.), was associated with the firm of Messrs. G. and J. Weir, Ltd., engineers, of Glasgow, for almost forty years. He was born in 1884 and received his technical education at the Paisley Technical College, where he graduated B.Sc. in engineering (London). After serving his apprenticeship with Messrs. Fullerton, Hodgert, and Barclay, Ltd., of Paisley, from 1900 to 1905, he was employed for three years in the drawing office of the Mirrlees Watson Company.
He then joined Messrs. G. and J. Weir as a draughtsman and began a connection which lasted until his death on 20th October 1947. Since 1935 he had held the important position of chief draughtsman with control of a staff of 90. Mr. Sim, whose technical abilities were of a high order, took a leading part in the initiation and development of the Weir Closed Feed System and the Weir Regenerative Condenser, for which he had many patents to his credit. He was the author of a book published in 1924 entitled "Steam Condensing Plant", which has become a recognized textbook on the subject, and made numerous contributions, relating to boiler feed systems and equipment, to the Proceedings of the various engineering societies of which he was a member. In 1931 Mr. Sim made a special journey to the United States to read a paper before American engineers on the Weir Closed Feed System. He was elected a Member of the Institution in 1945."