Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,385 pages of information and 233,518 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
James Wallace Peggs (1848-1899)
1899 Obituary 
JAMES WALLACE PEGGS, born in London on the 3rd September, 1848, was educated at King's College School.
In 1865 he was articled to Mr. J. W. Grover, and in 1867 and 1868 he was employed as resident engineer on the construction of the Clevedon Pier. He was engaged in the same capacity in 1869 and 1870 on the new pier at the Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, and from 1870 to 1872 he designed and carried out a dock and sea-wall at Garston, near Liverpool, for Hamilton's Windsor Ironworks Co.
From about 1884 to 1887 Mr. Peggs acted as engineer to the Metropolitan Asylums Board, and carried out amongst other works an ambulance station and pier at Fulham, dry earthworks near Longreach, and various matters in connection with the Board's fleet of hospital ships and ambulance boats. About this period he carried out various works for the Guardians of the Poor of the Parish of St. Leonard, Shoreditch.
In 1888 Mr. Peggs was elected a Member of the Council of the Sanitary Institute, but owing to ill-health he resigned his connection a few months previous to his death. He designed and presented to the Parkes Museum an interesting model showing the cone of depression produced in water-bearing strata caused by pumping from a deep well.
He took great interest in experiments on the action of the wind on cowls, and was for many years one of the judges in connection with the annual exhibitions of the Sanitary Institute, in which capacity he took a deep interest and rendered much valuable service. Mr. Peggs died at his residence, Southbourne Lodge, Christchurch, Rants, on the 24th February, 1899.
He was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 4th February, 1873, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.