Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 137,398 pages of information and 221,179 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Charles Thurston (Thruston) Crofts (1861-1911)
1911 Obituary 
JOHN CHARLES THURSTON CROFTS was born at Newland, Gloucestershire, on 27th September 1862.
He was educated at the Technical School at Saarbrucken, Prussia, and at King's College, London.
In 1880 he commenced a three years' apprenticeship at the works of Messrs. Easton and Anderson, of Erith, which was followed by an appointment in the Beltim Land and Irrigation Co., at Cherbine, Egypt, where he assisted in erecting the pumping installation sent out by Messrs. Easton and Anderson.
On the conclusion of his engagement in 1884 he proceeded to India and became assistant engineer to Mr. Arthur Butler, engineer and contractor, of Mozufferpore, Tirhoot, Bengal, with whom he entered into partnership, and eventually purchased the business.
Owing to ill-health, he sold his share of the business in 1897 and went to Vancouver, B.C., where he entered into partnership with Mr. J. C. Ferguson as consulting and general engineers. In this position he was engaged in various inspecting work connected with boilers, mines, sugar machinery, etc., in the United States, Canada, and the West Indies.
His death took place at Bedford, England, on lot August 1911, in his forty-ninth year.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1899.
1911 Obituary 
JOHN CHARLES THRUSTON CROFTS, born on the 37th September, 1861, at Newlands, Gloucestershire, died on the 1st August, 1911.
Trained under Messrs. Easton and Anderson of Erith, he was for 13 years engaged in the construction and supervision of machinery for indigo, tea and silk factories in India.
He then went to America, where he supervised the erection of machinery as agent for various companies, chiefly in Canada, until 1907, when he became partner in a general engineering business in Vancouver.
Mr. Crofts was elected an Associate Member of The Institution on the 6th December, 1904.