Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,994 pages of information and 210,222 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Cockerill and Co of Seraing (Liege, Belgium).
Founded 1817 by British engineer and industrialist John Cockerill.
From 1825 the owner was John Cockerill and the company known as John Cockerill & Cie.
After John Cockerill's death in Warsaw after a business trip to Russia raising funds to save the company from bankruptcy in 1840 the company became state owned
From 1842 known as Société anonyme pour l'Exploitation des Etablissements John Cockerill.
The company was one of the major iron and steel producers in western Europe throughout its existence, and a major producer of derived products, including rail and railway locomotives, iron production equipment, and other large-scale iron and steel construction.
1894 Antwerp Exhibition. Triple expansion steam engine of 1,600 hp. Models of ships built at their Antwerp yard.
1894 Six-hundred horse-power triple-expansion Frikart-Corliss Engine.
Supplied a breakdown crane to the Hedjaz Railway in 1908.
Built steam powered breakdown cranes - for the SNCF in 1939 one of 130 ton capacity, and in the late 1940s four number 85 ton machines. Two survive, albeit now diesel powered, one for the national museum collection, one is preserved by a scrapyard owner at Culoz.
Similar 85 ton breakdown cranes built in Italy in 1958 under Cockerill license for FS/Italian Railways.
In 1955 the company merged with Ougrée-Marihaye to form SA Cockerill -Ougree, later merged into Cockerill-Sambre in 1981.