Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,151 pages of information and 233,681 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
St. Austell Foundry (also known as St. Austle Foundry)
Except where separately referenced, the following information comes from 'The Cornish Beam Engine' by D B Barton, D Bradford Barton, 1966:-
Established some time before 1820, when the partners were J M Hamilton, Benjamin Wood and Philip Wall.
The manager, R R Hodge, left when the concern changed hands in 1822 and set up on his own account at Higher Foundry on Blowing House Hill.
In 1825 Hodge bought the St Austell Foundry. After his death the business was run by his two sons, until they both died in 1831. Then the business was run by their mother, assisted by John F Hodge, who took sole control when she died in 1843.
Engines were built for Cornwall (including two 50" engines in 1851 for Chypraze Consols (St Enoder) and Wheal Uny). It also appears that an engine was exported to Australia.
1852 - 53 Four 70" engines for South Crenver, Wheal Tristrem, Great Hewas and East Polgooth.
1854 80" engine for Wheal Mary Ann, Menheniot. John Hodge owns St Austell gasworks
1855 John Hodge died.
1856 Foundry sold. Comprised Higher and Lower Foundry. Power came from three water wheels and two steam engines. Plant for sale included a Nasmyth steam hammer and a boring mill with an 8 ft diameter chuck/faceplate. Two unfinished steam engines and a stamping engine were also included. The main (Lower) foundry was bought out by William West, who already ran St Blazey Foundry with his two sons (see William West and Sons). Ownership of Higher Foundry passed to William Derry.