Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,386 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John James Robertson Lyon (c1886-1935)
1935 Obituary 
JOHN JAMES ROBERTSON LYON had been in business on his own account as a consulting electrical engineer since 1929. He was a native of Glasgow and received his technical education at the Royal Technical College.
In 1902 he commenced a three years' apprenticeship in the workshops of Messrs. Hugh Smith and Company, Ltd., after which he served for a further three years in the drawing office of Messrs. J. Bennie and Sons. He remained with the firm until 1911, and became leading draughtsman.
He then joined Messrs. Nobel's Explosives Company as chief draughtsman, and was promoted to be superintendent engineer in 1915. He designed and supervised the erection of extensions to the Westquarter factory during 1915-16, and was responsible for the design of the machinery subsequently installed there.
In 1917 he became an assistant on the engineering staff at the War Office, and was attached to the peat fuel department.
Subsequently he was appointed efficiency engineer to the Dunlop Rubber Company at Coventry, and some years later he occupied a similar position with Messrs. Strain and Robertson, of Glasgow, which he held until he took up his work as a consultant in Bath Street, Glasgow.
In 1918 he was elected an Associate Member of the Institution.
His death occurred in Glasgow on 9th November 1935, at the age of 49.