Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,258 pages of information and 223,668 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
John Menzies (1871-1946)
1947 Obituary 
"JOHN MENZIES, whose death occurred on 11th May 1946, was a Member of the Institution for forty years, having been elected in 1906. He was born in 1871 and educated at the Heriot Watt College, Edinburgh, where he obtained the diploma in mechanical engineering. After serving his apprenticeship from 1889 to 1895 with Messrs. Ramage and Ferguson, Ltd., shipbuilders and engineers, of Leith, he secured an appointment as draughtsman to Messrs. Robert Maclaren and Company, of the Eglinton Foundry, Glasgow, and was responsible for the equipment of a new power station. After a year's absence, in the drawing office of Messrs. Fraser and Chalmers, at Erith, Kent, he returned to Messrs. Maclaren to take over the management of the works and the charge of the drawing office, subsequently joining the board of directors. During his association with the firm, which lasted for twenty years, the capacity of the foundry was nearly doubled, as the result of extensive alterations and additions carried out under his supervision.
On vacating this appointment in 1917 he served for a period as assistant technical officer at Woolwich Arsenal. In 1918 he was engaged as works manager by Messrs. Thermo Electric, Ltd., and four years later he joined Messrs. Murex, Ltd., as their iron foundry manager. Since 1927 Mr. Menzies had acted as London representative for various foundries."