Joseph Bernays (1835-1906).
Civil engineer of 96 Newgate Street, London.
1908 Obituary 
JOSEPH BERNAYS died in London on the 24th December, 1906, aged 71.
Of German parentage, he was born at Mainz on the 26th May, 1835, and obtained his scientific training at the Polytechnic School of Karlsruhe.
Subsequently he was employed for 2 years by Messrs. Sulzer Brothers, Winterthur, and in 1858 he came to this country to join the staff of Messrs. Gwynne and Company. As their chief designer, he was engaged principally in the design of centrifugal pumping machinery, and was responsible for the ingenious perfume fountain exhibited by the firm at the London International Exhibition of 1862.
In 1863 he transferred his services to Messrs. Clinton and Owens, Hydraulic Engineers, as manager, and whilst in their service he brought out the “Bernays” centrifugal pump, designed to effect economy in working and in steam consumption, the manufacture of which was taken up by his firm.
In 1868 he engaged in practice on his own account. He was appointed Consulting Engineer to Messrs. Mason and Barry, Limited, proprietors of extensive copper mines in Portugal, and superintended for them the sinking of new shafts, the erection of winding and pumping machinery, and locomotives, and the construction of reservoirs, embankments, etc., in Portugal, as well as designing extensive works at Rainham, Essex, for the manufacture of sulphuric acid on a large scale.
He also acted as Consulting Engineer to Messrs. Gilbert Lawes and Company, chemical manure manufacturers, Messrs. Brunner, Mond and Company, The Bischof White Lead Syndicate, the Brimsdown Lead Company, and other large firms.
In 1877 he perfected a new type of twin-cylinder marine engine, which he subsequently patented. He was consulted in connection with several important arbitrations, where his expert knowledge of the chemical branch of engineering was especially valuable.
Mr. Bernays was a member of the Society of Engineers, and of the Society of Chemical Industry, and served the office of President of the former society in 1880.
He was elected an Associate of The Institution on the 10th April, 1877, was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members, and was transferred to the class of Members on the 1st April, 1884.
1907 Obituary