Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,470 pages of information and 233,895 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Jules Magery

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Jules Magery (1840-1907)

1907 Obituary [1]

JULES MAGERY died on January 15, 1907, after a brief illness, at the age of sixty-seven. He was born at Namur on October 12, 1840, and commenced his professional career in 1863 as mining engineer of the Societe de Vezin-Aulnoye. He afterwards became engineer of the oolitic iron mines at Vezin, and later of the Aulnoye blast-furnaces in France of the Maxeville mines near Nancy, and of the Tilleul rolling-mills near Mauberge.

In 1874 he became technical manager of the Rothe Erde works near Aix-la-Chapelle, Germany, and of the Aachen Metallurgical Company, which post he retained until 1900. He remained a director of the company until his death, although he retired from active work some years ago.

He was for many years an energetic member of the Association des Ingenieurs Sortis de l'Ecole de Liege, of which he was for some time president. In that capacity he presided over the members of the Association who were the guests of the Iron and Steel Institute in the summer of 1904, and spoke at the banquet given on that occasion at the Hotel Cecil. He also accompanied the members of the Institute who visited America, during the autumn of that year, and on his return collaborated with Mr. Timmermans, Mr. Dreux, and his son Mr. Maurice Magery, in publishing an account of the principal works visited. At the Mining Congress held in Liege in 1906 he was president of the metallurgical section, and was likewise president of the metallurgical section of the International Testing Congress held in Brussels in the autumn of 1906. He was a Knight of the Orders of Leopold and of the Red Eagle of Prussia.

He was elected a member of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1879.

See Also


Sources of Information