Kensington Electric Lighting Station
1889 The House To House Electric Light Supply Co was one of the early companies supplying electricity in London. It used the a.c. method of generation and distribution. It opened its central generating station in Kensington, adjacent to West Brompton station. The system was designed by the company's engineer, Mr William Lowrie, on the lines of his design for Eastbourne, with Mr Hall. The high voltage electricity was converted to low tension at each house by Lowrie-Hall converters. 3 sets of generating equipment, each capable of lighting 4000 lamps were installed initially. Two (sic) Lowrie-Parker dynamos were specially made for the plant; the maximum load that could be handled was 100kW; the Lowrie-Hall regulator was used for controlling and metering the system and Lowrie-Hall converters for reducing the voltage at each customer's premises.