Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,884 pages of information and 232,615 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
London Electrobus Co of 1 Earl Street, Westminster.
1906 The company was registered in April. 
1908 Reference to Electrobus Company, Limited, of Whitehall House, Charing Cross.
These are the London addresses that the company registered at Companies House:
The London Electrobus Company compiled by Mick Hamer November 2017.
Offices: 1 Earl Street, Westminster, SW Garage: 45 Horseferry Road, Westminster, SW
The company launched its prospectus on 23 April, seeking to raise £305,000 from investors to put 300 electrobuses on the streets of London within 12 months. The prospectus claimed that the company had a patent that gave it a monopoly on this type of electric bus.
The claim to have a monopoly was false and the patent, which was for a motor vehicle transmission, did not give any monopoly on electric buses. A series of court actions forced the company to refund more than 1,000 investors. Newspaper reports pointed to the well-known motorist Dr Edward Ernest Lehwess, of the Motor Car Emporium, as the moving spirit behind the enterprise.
Despite this setback the company began a service of electrobuses between Victoria Station and Liverpool Street on 15 July 1907. The company’s garage and offices were on the corner of Earl Street (now named Marsham Street) and Horseferry Road, close by Victoria Station.
The electrobuses initially used batteries supplied by the Gould Storage Battery Corporation, of Depew, New York State. The batteries gave the bus a limited range of up to 40 miles, enough for four return journeys between Victoria and Liverpool Street. Gould’s engineers and the electrobus company worked out a slick way of extending the range. After the morning shift the electrobus went to the garage and swapped its exhausted batteries for fresh ones. The changeover took just three minutes.
In April 1908 the company made a fresh attempt to raise money through a share flotation, which was partially successful. By the end of the year the number of electrobuses on the streets of London had increased to 20 and the company started operating a second route.
The service went into decline during 1909 and in July shareholders were asked to support a reconstruction to bring the electrobuses under “new and efficient management”. On 3 January 1910 the Reorganisation and Control Syndicate took over all the electrobus assets. Despite raising a significant sum of money for the reconstruction the Reorganisation and Control Syndicate never ran a single bus. Shortly after this the rump of the London Electrobus Company went into liquidation.
The magazine Electrical Engineering urged investors to demand a full explanation of “Dr Lehwess’s peculiar activities” and the way the company had been run.
The Electrobus compiled by Mick Hamer
The electrobus was the first practical battery-electric bus.
The prototype electrobus was supplied by the Motor Car Emporium of Holland Park. It had a 14 hp electric motor made by Thomson Houston at the company’s Paris works. The battery for this prototype was supplied by the X Accumulator Company.
All the later electrobuses were assembled by the Electric Van Wagon and Omnibus Co. The batteries for these electrobuses were supplied by the Gould Storage Battery Corporation of Depew, New York State.
Gould’s engineers and the electrobus company worked out a slick way of extending the range. After the morning shift the electrobus went to the garage and swapped its exhausted batteries for fresh ones. The changeover took just three minutes.
By the end of 1907 the Gould batteries were being phased out and replaced with batteries made by the Tudor Accumulator Company.
The electrobus was very popular with the travelling public. In 1908 Douglas Fox, the foremost engineer of his day, gave a paper to the British Association for the Advancement of Science meeting, which concluded “the electrobus is probably a more formidable rival than the petrol omnibus, not only to the horse omnibus, but also to the tramway”. 
The electrobus was the first double-deck bus to test a bus with a roof over the top deck, but the police refused to license the bus.
The only other place to have an electrobus service were the twin towns of Brighton and Hove. Under pressure from the local councils to cut motor bus noise the Brighton, Hove and Preston United Omnibus Co bought four electrobuses from the Electric Vehicle Co in 1908 and 1909 and built a new garage and charging station to maintain its growing fleet. 
After the London Electrobus Company went into liquidation in 1910, the Brighton, Hove and Preston United Omnibus Co bought eight second-hand London electrobuses. The rest of the London buses were broken up for spares. 
The last electrobus stopped running in April 1917. Thomas Tilling, which had taken over the Brighton, Hove and Preston United Co in 1916  said that a lack of spares had forced them to stop running electrobuses.