Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,998 pages of information and 225,312 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1834 This was the first joint stock bank in London when it opened in 1834 with a head office at 38 Throgmorton Street and a branch at 9 Waterloo Place.
1836 Branches were opened in Holborn, Whitechapel, Southwark and Marylebone.
By 1838 the head office had moved to 41 Lothbury and the West End office to 1 St James’s Square.
1855 A further branch opened at Temple Bar.
1861 the bank acquired Commercial Bank of London
1863 Acquired London and Middlesex Bank
1864 Acquired the private bank Jones, Loyd and Co.
1880 Took limited liability status
By 1905 the bank had 35 branches, mostly in central London. The bank also operated as London agent to various country and overseas banks.