Manchester Victoria Railway Station
Located at Hunt's Bank. The first station here was opened in 1844 by the Manchester and Leeds Railway to replace their 1839 Oldham Road railway station. In 1844 the Liverpool and Manchester Railway extended its line eastwards to Victoria from Ordsall.
Victoria stationwas enlarged in 1909.
In 1884 Manchester Exchange Station, operated by the London and North Western Railway, was built alongside Victoria, and after 1929, a single passenger platform which linked the stations was the longest passenger platform in Europe at 2,194 feet (669 m). Exchange Station closed in 1969 and its services were transferred to Victoria.
The station has been extensively altered in recent years.
For much more information, see the Wikipedia entry.