Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,162 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Llanelly, Carmarthenshire
1863 the Marshfield Iron Works were built by Messrs. Nevill, Everitt and Company.
Initially it seems that only blackplate was made at the works. Tinplate was added later.
1868 The Nevill, Everitt partnership was dissolved
1872 The works were sold to C. Budde and Company Limited, Birmingham.
By 1876 the works were trading as The Marshfield Company Limited and operated 4 mills.
1879 The Marshfield Iron Works closed but in December 1879 the Western Tinplate Company was formed by Messrs. Josiah T. Smith, general manager of the Barrow Steel Company, George Byng Morris, and W. H. Forester.
1881 the Western Tinplate Works Limited was registered
By 1893 Western Tinplate had 9 mills.
1939 the works were acquired by the Llanelly Associated Tinplate Companies Limited and ceased to trade as a separate company.
1947 The works were acquired by The Steel Company of Wales Limited.