Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,078 pages of information and 227,775 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Martin Samuelson and Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

of Hull, ship builders and maker of hydraulic presses

of London

1849 Martin Samuelson started in business in Hull as a marine and general engineer under the style of Martin Samuelson and Co.

1854 The Company was enlarged when his brother, Alexander Samuelson, joined the firm. The work was shipbuilding and the application of steel to marine engineering, as well as the manufacture of hydraulic presses, in place of the old stamper presses, for seed-crushing, the staple industry of Hull.

1856 the firm made steel boilers for use on land for Marriott, Atkinson and Co’s works at Sheffield, which were in use for twenty years without any material repairs.

1861 the partnership was dissolved; Alexander Samuelson moved to London.

1860-1862 Built two early steel vessels - the Annie (classed after considerable difficulty as 'A 1 Experimental' on Lloyd’s register) and the Latona. The firm also built the Spurn the Gertrude and the Lord Cardigan the first cargo steamers to run from Hull to St. Petersburg without having to unload at Cronstadt.

Within 10 years, ninety-seven vessels, principally steamers, were built in the yard.

1864 The works were sold to the Humber Ironworks and Shipbuilding Company.

Mr. Martin Samuelson then took general engineering works in Neptune Street, Hull, and amongst other work built the North Bridge over the River Hull. This is an hydraulic draw-bridge, which is pulled back into the roadway when required to be opened.

He also constructed machinery for the blast furnaces of Messrs. B. Samuelson and Company at Middlesbrough, and travelling rolls for their Britannia Mill. This latter machinery was in regular use until 1892, when it was removed and electric power substituted.

1873 The works in Neptune Street were sold to Amos and Smith.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information