Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,374 pages of information and 230,039 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1882 Company founded.
1902 Public company. The company was registered on 11 July, in reconstruction of the Mountstuart Shipbuilding, Graving Docks and Engineering Co. 
1925 Mountstuart Dry Docks and Shearman's Co and the firm of Elliot and Jeffery were amalgamated. The Mountstuart owns dry docks at Cardiff, Newport and Avonmouth, and has engineering works at other ports in this district. Elliot and Jeffery are the owners of the Windsor Slipway, situated between Cardiff and Penarth, and engineering shops at Cardiff and Barry. The Mountstuart Dry Docks and Shearman's, Ltd., has a capital of £725,000, while Elliot. and Jeffery is a private concern with a capital of £60,000. 
Messrs Elliot and Jeffery acquired from Mr Frank Shearman the major portion of his interest in the Mountstuart Company, and the directors of the latter firm passed resolutions agreeing to the union and also to and agreement with Messrs John and Thomas Elliot for the running of the combined businesses. Mr Frank Shearman retained an interest in the company and a seat on the board and the other directors were J. E. Emlyn-Jones, T. H. Mordey, R. Williamson and F. E. Lewis.
The Mountstuart Eastern Dry Dock at Newport was lengthened by 55ft. to 425ft and can now accommodate vessels having a beam up to 54ft. 
1961 Dry dock proprietors, shipbuilders and repairers. 1,600 employees.