Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Established by the Ministry of Munitions to make standardised tools and gauges but it was not possible to establish a single central factory. Instead factories were acquired at Woolwich, Birmingham, and Croydon. These were followed by the Wolsey Motor Co. in Pimlico, and Newall Engineering Co. in Walthamstow, taken over in 1917 and 1918 respectively. The main output of the Birmingham factory was small tools, taps and dies, and the plant was taken over from Chatwin and Co., an existing maker.
* NGF Birmingham (Great Tindal Street)
An existing gauge factory which was nationalised in September 1915. Management: Chatwin Ltd.
* NGF Croydon (Gloucester Road)
* NGF Kilburn, London (Fairfax Yard)
Opened: May 1917. Management: Wolseley Motor Company; operated by German PoWs.
* NGF Pimlico, London (Gatliff Road)
An existing gauge factory which was nationalised in June 1917. Management: Wolseley Motor Company.
* NGF Walthamstow
Nationalised in spring 1918. Management: direct control/Newall Engineering Co
* NGF Woolwich (Upper Market Street)
Nationalised in August 1916. Management: Pitter's Ventilating and Engineering Co.