Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 144,962 pages of information and 230,620 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Eye-Witness Works, Milton Street, Sheffield.
c1820 Company founded by John Taylor at a small workshop in St. Phillip's Road. For many years, business was known as "Eye Witness" Works, Milton Street, Sheffield, and they specialised in pen, pocket and sports-knives.
1854 When John Taylor died the business passed to his daughter, who had married a Needham - the spring knife cutlers who lived next door to Taylor.
Business acquired by Thomas Brown Needham
1879 Walter Tyzack (grandson of William Tyzack, founder of W. Tyzack and Sons), was another partner who joined the business in 1879, and the business was to be then known as Needham, Veall and Tyzack
1897 The company was registered on 27 November, to acquire the business of cutlery and electroplate manufacturers.  Walter Tyzack was chairman, James Veall, William C. Veall and Edwin Needham were directors.
Today it is still in the same location and is still Sheffield owned, trading again since 1965 as Taylor’s Eye-Witness.