Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,518 pages of information and 233,949 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Newmarket and Chesterford Railway was incorporated in July 1846, and changed its name to the Newmarket Railway in 1847 (before completion).
It was built between 1848 and 1851, but was worked by the Eastern Counties Railway from 1850, and was taken over completely by the ECR in 1854.
The ECR joined other companies in 1862 to form the GER.
The Newmarket Railway had a stock of 6 locomotives, all of 2-4-0 wheel arrangement, built by Gilkes, Wilson and Co of Middlesbrough, named 'Beeswing', 'Queen of Trumps', 'Van Tromp', 'Flying Dutchman', 'Eleanor', and 'Alice Hawthorn'.