Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,747 pages of information and 232,260 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Bewsey Mill Foundry, Warrington
Successors to Rowlinson and Gibson?
1838 Partnership dissolved. '...the Partnership lately subsisting between the undersigned, Isaac Newton and John Gibson, as Ironfounders, at Warrington, in the county of Lancaster, under the firm of Newton and Gibson, was this day dissolved by mutual consent...'
1838 Advert: 'Valuable and Extensive Sale of Machinery, Engine, Wheel and other Patterns, Large Double Power and other Cranes; Lathes with Iron and Wood Gantrees, Boring Mill, Screwing Machine, &c. at Bewsey Mill Foundry, Warrington.
MR. T. HOPE has received instructions to SELL BY AUCTION, by order of the Creditors of Messrs. Newton and Gibson, Wednesday, 30th, 1838, and following days, at the above Foundry, the whole of the varied and extemive STOCK of MACHINERY, comprising Shafts, Wheels, Pulleys, &c. ; the whole of the ENGINE, Wheel, Shaft, Pedestal, Water Wheel, and other Patterns, collected during many years of extensive Business, in almost all the Corn and other Mills, particularly in Cheshire and the surrounding districts ; the whole of the Stock and Tools used in Foundry, Smithy. &c., Steel, Wrought, and Cast Iron; Sycamore, Crab Tree, and other Timber, with every article requisite for carrying on an extensive business ; particulars of which will given in Catalogues one week before the Sale, and may be had from Messrs. J. FINCH and SON, Iron Merchants, Sir Thomas’s Buildings, Liverpool; Mr. PHILIP FRYER, Iron Merchant, Deansgate, Manchester; the Chronicle Office, Bolton; the Gazette Office, Wigan; and from the Auctioneer, Butter Market-street, Warrington.'
1840'A fire, of a rather seriousc haracter, took place at the Bewsey-street iron foundry, on Thursday morning. The foundry, which was formerly in the ccupation of Messrs. Newton and Gibson, has been for the last two years unoccupied, except one end of it, a detached building, then used as a pattern shop, and now occupied by Mr. Gibson, who since the shutting up of the foundry has carried on business as a millwright and founders' pattern maker. At ten mintes before three o'clock on Thursday morning, Mr. Wilkinson, the landlord of the Coopers' Arms public-house, was awakened by his wife, who called his attention to an unusual light proceeding from the upper room of Mr. Gibson's premises. He immediately gave the alarm in the neighbourhood, and his brother, and Mr. Jon Leech, proceeded to the engine-house in the corn-market, and directly returned with one of the fire-ergines stationed there; upon its reaching the spot, there were not a sufficient number of persons to work it, but, no time was lost. Buckets were obtained, and water carried from most of the pumps in the neighbourhood. In about ten minutes after the arrival of the first engine it was got to work. Others were soon after brought to the seen of action. The flames spread with great rapidity, and it became pretty obvious to the "lookers on," that all hopes of saving the building in which it originated would be in vain. At four o'clock, three engines vere actively engaged in preventing the further spreading of the flames, and one of them, one of the smallest connected with the fire-police stationed in Messrs. Dakin and Banks' yard, to the side of the foundry, rendered very considerable service. The supply of water was melancholy deficient; unfortunately, no water-pipes were laid down in Warrington, the town being supplied from wells, which are consequently to be found in pretty nearly every direction. Two large wells are sunk upon the premises forming the foundry - one in the centre of the building, and the other at the entrance gates - strange to say, until the fire had got complete a head, they were overlooked, and it was not until full half-past four o'clock, that one of them, that near the gates, was made available. At this hour, the Duke, and theVictoria, were got to work. The Water Witch, another large engine, soon threw a powerful body of water upon the flames, and the united efforts of the three shortly afterwards got the fire completely under - the valuable lathes, and other machinery on the ground floor, being all that was saved fron destruction. The roof fell in early, and in about half an hour a great portion of the front wall gave way, and, falling into the street, placed the lives of the people collected there in great peril. Happily, all escaped, save an unlucky boy, who, not having time to get out of the way, was killed on the spot. A large steam engine, stationed on the premises, received some slight damage. All the machinery, workmens' tools, a large stock of patterns, and some newly made machinery, for a pin works, now in process of fitting up at Bedford, near Leigh, together with the upper stories of the premises, were completely destroyed. The building is the property of Mr. Eyton, the agent of the Bridgewater Trust, at Stockton Quay. Mr. Gibson was uninsured. Six of his workers have lost all their tools - some of the Chests being worth from £21 to £30. The water cart, which ought upon all occasions, to be is readiness, was not brought to the fire until after it was got under. If some of the active members of the Warrington fire police fore were but to witness the great good resulting from the water carts in Liverpool following close after the engines when called out to attend a fire, we are sure matters would be managed differently.' 
The Bewsey Mill Foundry was later the premises of William Jones and Sons. (Check that this was the same foundry]