Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,124 pages of information and 233,665 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Osbourne, Graham and Company of North Hylton, Sunderland
The company opened in 1871, on the Wear on the North-East coast of England. It is considered to be the greatest of all the Hylton yards. The yard began making iron ships: tramps, colliers, barques and full-riggers, eventually specialising in colliers.
1900 Some of the largest tramps built at Hylton came from the Osbourne yard. Tramps were built during the first decade of the century. Notable pioneers were the 'corrugated' tramp Monitoria and the 'Arch-decker' Edenor.
WWI The yard made a dozen ships during the War.
1914 Directory: Listed as Iron Ship Builders of North Hylton, Sunderland
1920s Following the freight slump, orders were few and far between 14 ships being made from 1919-1925.
1925 The yard closed down.
1931 The yard was purchased by National Shipbuilders Security and demolished.