Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,752 pages of information and 211,898 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Perry and Co (Holdings)

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Perry and Co (Holdings) Ltd, Perryan Works, Tyseley, Birmingham, makers of chains, cycle components and pens.

1945 Perry and Co transferred its chain making and cycle coaster hub business to a subsidiary, Perry Chain Co Ltd. The pen business was continued by Perry and Co (Pens) Ltd, while Perry and Co (Holdings) Ltd became the main parent company, with financial control of the whole Perry group.

From 1948, there were also three overseas selling and distributing companies, in Belgium (Brussels), the U.S.A. (New York) and Canada (Ontario). The company had manufacturing works at Lancaster Street in Birmingham, Tyseley in Birmingham and Abercrave in Brecknockshire.

1951 AGM told of the death of J W Bayliss who had been connected with the company for 50 years and a member of the board since 1926; he had been closely connected with establishing the cycle works at Tyseley. Subsidiaries included Perry Chain Co, Bayliss, Wiley and Co, both in the cycle trade, and Perry and Co (Pens) Ltd.[1]

1954 58th Annual general meeting; chairman A. E. Wiley; J. B Bayliss presided over the meeting. Subsidiary companies were the cycle component makers Perry Chain Co, Bayliss, Wiley and Co Ltd, as well as Perry and Co (Pens) Ltd. Lancaster St site had been sold and a new factory in Tyseley was nearing completion[2].

1959 Following the merger with Renold Chains, the subsidiaries in Belgium and Canada were closed, although the subsidiary in America remained in existence, changing its name to Renold Perry Inc., in 1964.

The main Perry concerns were undertaken by a new company Perry Engineering Ltd., which went into voluntary liquidation in 1965, once these concerns were fully integrated with Renold Chains Ltd.

Perry and Co (Pens) Ltd remained in existence until its sale in 1960 to British Pens

The Tyseley and Abercrave factories were closed in 1962 and 1964, respectively, after the Renold Group decided to end its involvement in all aspects of the cycle fittings industry, other than chain.



See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information

  1. The Times Dec 17, 1951
  2. The Times, 13 December 1954
  • [1] Manchester Archives
  • Birmingham’s Industrial Heritage by Ray Shill. Published by Sutton Publishing 2002. ISBN 0-7509-2593-0