Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 139,006 pages of information and 225,313 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Peter Shaw (1873-1938) of John Shaw and Sons
1881 Living at 50 Adelphi Terrace, Salford: Joshua Shaw (age 40 born Salford), Head of Firm of John Shaw and Sons employing 56 men and 9 boys. With his wife Elizabeth Shaw (age 38 born Salford) and their six children; Helen Fitzgerald Shaw (age 10 born Salford); Peter Shaw (age 8 born Salford); Elizabeth Shaw (age 6 born Salford); John Shaw (age 4 born Salford); Percy Shaw (age 2 born Salford); and Effie Shaw (age 1 born Salford). Two servants.
1901 Living at Drywood, Worsley: Joshua Shaw (age 60 born Salford), Mechanical Engineer - Employer. With his wife Elizabeth Shaw (age 58 born Salford) and their four children; Helen Fitzgerald Shaw (age 30 born Salford); Peter Shaw (age 28 born Salford), Manager of Engineering Works; Elizabeth Shaw (age 26 born Salford); and Effie Shaw (age 21 born Salford). Three servants.
1938 Obituary 
PETER SHAW was concerned for practically the whole of his career with the manufacture of hydraulic machinery, chiefly presses and pumps. He was born in Salford in 1873, and received his education at Manchester Grammar School and Owens College, where he studied mechanical engineering until 1893.
He served his apprenticeship in his father's hydraulic engineering works at Salford and in 1893 entered the drawing office, where he was employed until 1899. During 1895-6 he visited India, and was responsible for the erection of a large quantity of cotton-baling and ginning machinery. He acted as a consultant to several cotton mill companies in connection with yarn-baling plant. In 1899 he was made manager of the firm. The business was reconstituted as a limited liability company under the title of Messrs. John Shaw (Salford), Ltd., steam, hydraulic, and electrical engineers, in 1908, when Mr. Shaw became a director. He was made managing director in 1913, and took an active part in the firm's business until 1936. His death occurred at his home in Birkdale, Lanes, on 4th July 1938.
He was elected to Associate Membership of the Institution in 1909.