Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 134,026 pages of information and 213,092 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Philip Bateman Glossop

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Philip Bateman Glossop (c1889-1947)


1949 Obituary [1]

"Lt.-Colonel PHILIP BATEMAN GLOSSOP, who had a long record of active service in the Army during the wars of 1914-18 and 1939-45, was educated at King William's College, Isle of Man, and at the Manchester Municipal College of Technology where he took a course in engineering. As an apprentice in the works of Messrs. Belsize Motors, Ltd., Manchester, from 1908 to 1914 he obtained a thorough course of training, passing through all the shops and the drawing office, and during the latter part of this period was employed as special tester and representative. In September 1914 he enlisted in the R.A.S.C. and in the following year was granted a commission.

Later he was appointed workshop officer in France and rose to the rank of captain. On demobilization in 1919 he returned to Messrs. Belsize Motors to take up the appointment of manager of that firm's agency in the Manchester area. Six years later he joined the staff of Messrs. Shell-Mex and B.P., Ltd., as assistant manager and special representative, and from 1932 to 1939 was specially concerned with the technical side of the business. He then rejoined the Army, being reinstated in his former rank with transference to the R.A.C. The appointments he held were those of chief instructor at the 11th Corps Vehicle Maintenance School and senior instructor to the Specialist Training Wing at Bovington Camp. Eventually he was promoted lieut.-colonel and appointed senior inspecting officer of Fighting Vehicles. Colonel Glossop, whose death in his fifty-eighth year occurred on 17th October 1947, was elected an Associate Member (A.D.) of the Institution in 1930 and was transferred to Membership in 1944."


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information