An aerodrome and the name of a company that built aeroplanes
1911 James Radley and William Rhodes-Moorhouse, also a pioneer aviator, formed a company, Portholme Aerodrome to design and build aircraft at St Johns Street, Huntingdon, adjacent to the site of the present police station. The first locally designed and built aircraft flew from Portholme on 27 July 1911. The aircraft resembled the familiar Bleriot type.
1912 Radley and Moorhouse sold the business to Handley Page to cover their debts. Handley Page struggled with the business until 1915 when, to support the war effort, the Admiralty ordered 20 Wight seaplanes to be made under licence.
1922 Portholme Aerodrome Limited battled on until finally going into receivership on 11 July 1922.
Sources of Information
- Aeroplanes of the Royal Flying Corps (Military Wing) by J. M. Bruce. Published 1982 ISBN 0-370-30084-x