Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,369 pages of information and 219,137 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1925 "THE new Cunard liner Alaunia sails today - Friday - from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal via, Belfast, under the command of Captain J. G. Saunders. She is a two-class liner of the intermediate type, which has proved so successful in the North Atlantic service of the Cunard Co. The Alaunia was laid down at the Clydebank-yard of John Brown and Co., Ltd., in 1920, but work on her was delayed, and it was not until February 7th of the present year that she took the water. A few weeks ago, after running successful trials on the Clyde, she arrived in Liverpool to fit out for her first voyage.
Her length overall is 540ft., with a breadth of 65ft., a depth of 43ft., and a gross tonnage of about 14,000. Besides excellent accommodation for 520 first-class and 1040 third-class passengers, in addition to officers and crew, 319 in number, the Alaunia has a cargo capacity of some 400,000 cubic feet distributed in four main holds.
As regards comfort and charm in the public rooms and excellence of the cabin accommodation, she accords fully with the high standard which we associate with both her builders and owners, whilst the most up-to-date safety and navigation devices have been fitted. The twin-screw propelling machinery consists of double reduction geared turbines designed for a total output of 500 shaft horse-power at a propeller speed of 90 revolutions per minute.
The machinery is rated to give the vessel an average sea speed of about 15 knots. Steam is raised in two double-ended and two single-ended boilers with a total heating surface of 19,900 square feet, designed to work at 220 lb. per square inch pressure. The boilers are fitted with oil fuel burners on the Wallsend-Howden system. It is noteworthy that the Alaunia is the thirty-first ship which has been built at Clydebank for the Cunard Steamship Co." from The Engineer 1925/07/24