Grace's Guide To British Industrial History

Registered UK Charity (No. 115342)

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 163,360 pages of information and 245,904 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 147,919 pages of information and 233,587 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.


From Graces Guide


December 1953.


December 1953.

E. Remington and Sons (1816-1896) was a manufacturer of firearms and typewriters.

1816 In August, 22 year old Eliphalet Remington II forged his first rifle barrel in Ilion, New York. His initial experiment proved successful and the young blacksmith proceeded to make more to meet the growing demand for sporting rifles in the Mohawk Valley. With the completion of the Erie Canal, connecting Buffalo with Albany, commerce in the Mohawk Valley expanded remarkably.

1828 To meet the increased demand for rifle barrels, the Remingtons moved their forge and foundry from its rural setting to 100 acres (0.4 km²) of land they had purchased astride the canal and abutting the Mohawk River near a town then called Morgan's Landing (later Ilion), New York. The move coincided with the elder Eliphalet's death, and Eliphalet II assumed control of the business.

1839 Eliphalet was joined by his eldest son, Philo Remington (to make the business E. Remington & Son), and in 1845 his second son, Samuel, also joined the company, afterwards called E. Remington & Sons. Remington's third son, Eliphalet III, would later join the company as well.

During this period, the Remingtons specialized almost exclusively in the manufacture of rifle barrels. These barrels, marked with the distinctive REMINGTON stamp near their breeches, were recognized for their quality and reasonable price. Many, if not most, of the independent gunsmiths in the Mohawk Valley purchased completed (but not rifled) barrels from Remington and assembled them into firearms custom ordered by their customers. As demand increased, the Remingtons added other parts to their inventory, first percussion locks made in Birmingham, England but marked with their stamp REMINGTON, and later sets of brass gun furniture, including trigger guards, butt plates, and patch boxes.

After 1846, first martial longarm and then revolver production dominated the company's workforce.

1846-1848 Remington supplied the U.S. Army with rifles in the Mexican-American War.

1847 Remington supplied the U.S. Navy with its first breech-loading rifle.

1856 the business was expanded to include the manufacture of agricultural implements.

1861 Upon Eliphalet's death, his son, Philo, took over the firm during the Civil War, and diversified the product line to include sewing machines (manufactured from 1870 to 1894) and typewriters (1873), both of which were exhibited at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876.

1865 The company of E. Remington and Sons was incorporated as a stock company.

1873 The company, which was producing sewing machines, expanded into the production of typewriters, [1] producing the first commercial typewriter.

The Remington Arms Company supplied a large proportion of the small arms used by the United States government in the Civil War (1861 to 1865) and in World War I (U.S. involvement 1917 to 1918) and World War II (U.S. involvement 1941 to 1945). Remington in addition was one of the most successful gun manufacturers in the world arms trade between 1867 and 1900, specifically through the export of the Remington Rolling Block action rifle. This single shot, large caliber Blackpowder cartridge rifle was exported in the millions all over the world, including shipments to France, Egypt, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Argentina, Mexico and the Vatican.

1886 E. Remington and Sons sold its typewriter business, to the Standard Typewriter Manufacturing Company, Inc. Included were the rights to use the Remington name. E. Remington and Sons changed its name to Remington Arms.

1902 Standard Typewriter changed its name to the Remington Typewriter Company.

1927 This company merged with Rand Kardex Company to form Remington Rand, which continued to manufacture office equipment and later became a major computer company, as well as manufacturing electric razors.

See Also


Sources of Information

  1. Trademarked. A History of Well-Known Brands - from Aertex to Wright's Coal Tar by David Newton. Pub: Sutton Publishing 2008 ISBN 978-0-7509-4590-5