Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 138,878 pages of information and 225,311 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Sam Mavor (c1863-1943), Brother of Henry Alexander Mavor.
1916 Chairman of the British Electrical and Allied Manufacturers' Association.
1943 Obituary 
SAM MAVOR, a leading pioneer and outstanding personality in the development of the machine mining of coal died on the 11th June, 1943, at the age of 80. He was born in Glasgow and, after serving his apprenticeship with Robert Harvey and Co. at Parkgrove Ironworks, joined his brother Henry, who had become agent in Scotland for the late Col. Crompton. He conducted many demonstrations in different parts of the country by means of portable engines, dynamos and arc lamps. In 1886, on returning from a voyage to the East, he joined the firm of Muir and Mavor, founded by his brother. This firm had in 1884 installed plant for lighting the Glasgow G.P.O. by electricity, and in 1888 preparations were made to lay down plant for a general supply. The Corporation, however, purchased the plant and premises in 1890, thus acquiring the nucleus of the present undertaking. The company, which then became known as Mavor and Coulson, removed in that year to Mile-end.
While acting with his brother, Mr. Mavor devoted himself more particularly to the perfecting of machines for coal cutting and conveying, the firm being the first to introduce coal mining by electricity into Scotland. He also wrote extensively on the subject of mechanical mining. It was characteristic of his outlook that he was keenly interested in the well-being of his employees. Enlightened methods of works organization were adopted by his firm, and the schemes of technical education devised for the benefit of their apprentices have been steppingstones in very many instances to positions of responsibility.
He was elected a Member of The Institution in 1890 and served on the Scottish Centre Committee for several years, being Chairman in the 1910—11 session. In 1926 he was awarded the Ayrton Premium for his paper entitled "Applications of Machinery at the Coal Face." He was for some time President of the Mining Institution of Scotland, and also a member of the Executive Council of the North-West Engineering Employers' Association and a Director of the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce. During the Great War he served on various Government Committees, including the Industrial Welfare Committee of the Ministry of Munitions. In 1934 he retired from the position of Managing Director, but retained the Chairmanship of the firm. In 1940 he published "Memories of People and Places," an informal record of 50 years of engineering and the friendships it yielded.