Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,103 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Shelvoke and Drewry of Icknield Way, Letchworth
1923 Produced the first S and D Freighter designed with a low frame enabling it to be able to be driven slowly and had small wheels. This was to be used as a dust cart or refuse collection vehicle.
1932 Produced the Latil tractor unit under licence until 1939
1937 Became a public company
1946 The W type freighter produced and popular with local authorities for refuse collection and remained in production for many years. The vehicles are powered by a range of engines from Ford, Leyland and Perkins
1961 Employs 480 persons. Manufacturers of municipal refuse-collecting vehicles, gully emptiers, cesspool cleansing vehicles and street watering and washing vehicles. Also specialised vehicles for the GPO. 
1961 Manufacturers of municipal refuse-collecting vehicles, gully emptiers, cesspool cleansing vehicles and street watering and washing vehicles, also cable drum carries for G.P.O. and heavy duty fork lift trucks. 480 employees. 
1966 Acquired by W. P. Butterfield
1971 Became part of Butterfield-Harvey Group
1975 Launched the SPV Special Purpose Vehicle division
1984 Company merged with US company Dempster
1992 Company ceased production
Late 1930s they produced the E types with rear-mounted transverse engines
1982 The SPV bus range was introduced including a bus used for airport transporting for Heathrow and Gatwick.