Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,369 pages of information and 219,137 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Euston Station, London
1845 An Act of Parliament was passed that authorised the merger. The larger Ellesmere and Chester Canal Company was formed.
1846 By Act of Parliament the company was reformed as the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company. The Act authorised the new company to take over the Shrewsbury Canal and to buy the Montgomery Canal and the Shropshire Union Canal.
1847 the Company leased itself to the London and North Western Railway Company but continued to manage the canals.
1849 the Company leased the Shropshire Union Canal and eventually purchased it in 1854.
1849 The railway opened
The Shropshire Union acted as a carrier, as well as managing the canals; they owned 213 narrowboats in 1870, rising to 395 in 1889 and 450 in 1902.
1908 The company's property was leased to the London and North Western Railway Company in perpetuity. The company owned 200 miles of canal, and 18.5 miles of railway, and partly owned a further 5.25 miles. 
1914 The company remained profitable until the start of the First World War.