in Soudley, Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire
Also known as Sewdley Foundry.
1854 Advert: 'Sewdley Foundry, East Dean, GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Distant from Newnham Station on the South Wales Railway, Two Miles. TO SOLD BY AUCTION, Mr. JAMES EARN, Tuesday, the day of March. 1834, THE whole of the STOCK-IN-TRADE, MACHINERY, a large quantity of valuable PATTERNS; 3-foot breast water-wheel, 14 feet diameter; boring bed, 17 feet by 4½ ; capital lathe, complete; blacking mill, large crane, weighing machine and weights, steelyards capable of weighing 4 tons, several dozen casting boxes, corebars, from 3 to 18 inches diameter and 10 feet long, part of a steam engine, blowing fan, shear legs and crab winches, melting and boiler plate, furnaces, drying stove carriage and plates, eight coal and two stone trucks, adapted to the Bullo-Pill tramway ; large iron blocks, chains, and ropes ; bar, rod, pig. scrap, and old cast iron; tram plates and wheels, castings, oils and colours, smiths' anvils, bellows, vices, drills, and tools; capital four-year-old cart gelding, harness, and all other the tools and valuable connected with the above Works, late the property of Mr. William Hewlett, deceased, particulars of which will be described in Catalogues, and may be had of the Auctioneer, Bear Hotel, Newnham. on remitting twelve postage stamps, three days previous to the Sale. Bear Hotel, Newnham, March 9th, 1854.'
Maker of stationary engines. 
Sources of Information
- Gloucestershire Chronicle - Saturday 18 March 1854
- Stationary Steam Engines of Great Britain by George Watkins. Vol 10
- Plate 77, 'Stationary Steam Engines of Great Britain, Volume 6: The South Midlands', by George Watkins, Landmark Publishing Ltd