Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal
1766 The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Co was established.  This was the same year the Act of Parliament was passed for the construction of a canal between the river Trent and the river Mersey, the Trent and Mersey Canal.
James Brindley was entrusted with the works.
1772 It was first named the Wolverhampton Canal and opened to traffic in 1772 linking the river Severn at Stourport to the Trent and Mersey Canal at Great Haywood, near Stafford.
A few years later the name was changed to the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.
For years, trade on the canal was booming, paying an annual dividend of 38 percent.
1924 The Shropshire, Worcestershire and Staffordshire Electric Power Co carried out experiments with an electrically powered boat on a short stretch of the canal in Kidderminster using a 250v DC overhead supply.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- Towpath guide No1, Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal by J. Ian Langford ISBN 0-900404-22-1
- Electric Canals on British Pathé