Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,057 pages of information and 230,710 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Stuart Street Power Station was built to supplement Bloom Street and Dickinson Street generating stations. They were in the centre of the city, and had DC generators and storage batteries. Stuart Street was outside the city, and produced AC power at 6,500 volts, 50 Hz. This was transmitted to substations, where it was transformed and converted to DC.
The station was opened on 27 May 1902, just a year after the scheme was approved.
Yates and Thom supplied six twin-cylinder vertical engines driving 1500 kW alternators. Other plant from Babcock and Wilcox and the Electrical Co Ltd. The engines were compound engines of 2500 HP with cylinders of 36 and 71 inches diameter, 3 ft 6 in stroke, running at 94 rpm. Each flywheel, located between the cylinders, was assembled from four castings and weighed 70 tons. The 3 phase alternators, made by the Electrical Co Ltd, generated at 6500 V, 50 Hz. There were also three Willans high speed engines each driving a 200 kW DC generator to supply the works' own machinery.
Proposals were submitted in late 1901 to extend the station. The extension was known as No. 2 Station, although it was housed in an extension of the same building. Two 6000 HP triple expansion Yates and Thom engines were installedin 1902, and twelve Babcock and Wilcox boilers.. Eight motor-generator sets were installed, with outputs from 125 to 300 kW. These constituted the Stuart Street substation.
In 1907 a 5MW Willans-Parsons turbine was installed, driving a Siemens alternator.
By 1914 four more turbines (by Howden) were installed, with Siemens alternators, having outputs from 1 to 15 MW.