Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,314 pages of information and 216,334 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Omega were motorcycles produced from 1914 to 1927, by the works of W. J. Green and Co, at Croft Road, Coventry.
c.1914 Company formed by William James Green as Motor Engineers
1913-1917 For a list of the models and prices of motorcycles see the 1917 Red Book
1913 Omega cars made in Coventry
Post-War. The model was soon joined by others but the firm concentrated on a 292cc sv JAP-engined lightweight in three forms of transmission choice.
1919 Exhibited at Olympia with an engine he had made and a motorcycle
1919 They produced a range of motorcycles badged for Gamages and this arrangement lasted until 1923
1920 Commenced building sidecars
1921 After a move to larger premises allowed an increase in production, a 545cc sv Blackburne was added.
1922 An all-weather machine was offered, as a 348cc two-stroke with widely splayed duplex tube frame and new spring forks of low un-sprung weight. The engine of that model was also available in a machine with a more conventional outline, as were other lightweights of various engine capacity of sv V-twin JAP engines, and single speed or Sturmey-Archer geared drives.
1923 The only JAP to be continued was the 293cc model, along with the 348cc two-stroke - both in various forms. These were then joined by a 170cc two-stroke miniature with forward-sloping engine in a loop frame and with two speeds.
1924 The range expanded with the addition of Blackburne and Barr and Stroud sports models, plus a Ladies' Model variant of the 170cc miniature.
1925 All except a 248cc Blackburne went forward into that year, and sv and ohv JAP models were added.
1925 Built a three-wheel car until 1927 - see Omega car
1926 The preferred engine had become the JAP, and the 348cc two-stroke and Barr and Stroud models were dropped. A natty little three-wheeler was introduced, with two front and one rear wheel, and was available in either sports or family versions. It was heavily promoted and may well have put a financial strain on the company.
1927 A 677cc sv V-twin was re-introduced. All the JAP-engined singles, the 170cc miniature and the four-strokes ran on. The latter were quite chunky in appearance, in short wheel-base frames with internal expanding-drum brakes. It was the firm's final year, then they totally withdrew from the market.
1927 Built the 'York' motorcycles for three years.
No connection with Omega Motor Cycle Co