Warwick and Napton Canal Aqueducts
Between Leamington Spa and Warwick
There are two aqueducts 1/4 mile apart on the Warwick and Napton Canal (Grand Union Canal). The oldest, known as the Avon Aqueduct, carries the canal over the River Avon, and was opened in 1800. The other, sometimes called the Myton Aqueduct, takes the canal over the railway (originally the Birmingham and Oxford Junction Railway), and was constructed c.1851-2.
Myton Aqueduct is an interesting and complex structure. Unfortunately the most interesting aspect of this four-arched skew aqueduct - the cast iron duct and its accommodation in the masonry - is not accessible for scrutiny. Hints at its complexity may be glimpsed from a footbridge a short distance to the west. Isambard Kingdom Brunel is credited with designing the aqueduct, and it was built by Peto and Betts. Brunel met similar challenges where railways had to pass under other canals, and adopted solutions which were similar in principle but very different in detail, for example Halberton Aqueduct.