Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 145,057 pages of information and 230,710 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
West Ham Power Station was a coal-fired power station on Bow Creek at Canning Town, east London (often referred to informally as Canning Town Power Station).
1904 The first power station at Canning Town was opened by West Ham Borough Council, in part to supply the borough's tramways. It replaced an earlier station built in 1898 at Abbey Mills.
It used two-phase generators, which was also the distribution method used by the local electricity company.
The station was extended several times between 1904 and 1930, making West Ham one of the largest municipal electricity suppliers in London.
1923 The West Ham, Essex generating station and main transmission assets were acquired from the Charing Cross, West End and City Electricity Supply Co by the London Electricity Joint Committee.
' A' Station
In 1959 there were two 10 MW Metropolitan-Vickers, one 12.5 MW Metropolitan-Vickers, and one 30 MW English Electric Co turbo-alternators. By 1964 the Metro.-Vickers units had been decommissioned, the A station retaining a single 30 MW unit, installed in 1923.
' B' Station
The BEA completed a new station to the south of the original station in 1951. This had two prominent concrete cooling towers, and make up water was abstracted from the River Lea. As well as burning coal the 'B' Station burnt coke blended with coal in its chain grate boilers. The coke was supplied from the adjacent Bromley Gas Works. In 1964 the 'B' station had 4 × 30 MW English Electric turbo-alternators. There were eight John Thompson 'Radiant' water tube boilers.