West of India Portuguese Railway
West of India Portuguese Railway (WIPR) was a metre gauge railway from the port of Mormugao (in the Portuguese enclave of Goa, now India) via Castle Rock to Londa junction with the Southern Mahratta Railway (SMR).
1878 An agreement was signed between the West of India Portuguese Guaranteed Railway Company (WIPR) and the Government of Portuguese India for construction of a Harbour and connected Railway but the railway work started only in 1882.
1887 December. The total length of existing meter gauge railway track in the Goan Territory of 43 km between Mormugao-Sanvordem via Vasco da Gama was inaugurated.
1888 Mormugao was connected with the Southern Maharatta Railway at Caranzol-Castle Rock junction
1902 with the metre gauge line on the verge of bankruptcy, the company leased the railway to the Southern Mahratta Railway, which continued to manage the railway till 1955.
With independence, the WIPR's operation passed to Indian Railways and, in 1951, to the Southern Railway.
From 1955 to 1961, the lines within the Portuguese enclave of Goa reverted to Portuguese control. An autonomous body named 'Junta Autonoma dos Portos caminhos de Ferro Do Estado Da India' constituted by the Portuguese Government took over the administration of the Port and Railway on 1.4.1961 from Western India Portuguese Railway on the termination of the contract.
1962 upon the liberation of Goa on 19.12.1961, administration of the Port and its connected railway was taken over by the Government of India on 8.1.1962.
In 1963, the line was again taken over by Indian Railways and came under Southern Railway. The main Railway section from Vasco da Gama to the border of Goa was transferred to Southern Railway on 1.5.1963, thus delinking the port from the Railway management