Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,414 pages of information and 211,641 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of 10 Aldgate, London, a speciality paper manufacturer and merchant
1761 Company founded originally as Edward and Jones in Aldgate, London, as wholesale stationers.
1799 Agreement between Richard Jones, Thomas Leventhorp and Jeremiah James to form a partnership
1815 Leventhorp and James died. Jones carried on the business by himself for a year
1816 Jones decided that he needed assistance and took on three partners, including Edward Wiggins who had been an employee of the firm from 1799, Samuel Robinson and George Hedley.
1819 Henry Teape became a partner.
1840 Jones left the partnership with Edward Wiggins, Hananaih Teape and Richard Loder, as Jones, Wiggins and Co, of Aldgate. Presumaby the business then became Wiggins, Teape and Loder.
1852 Richard Loder left the partnership of Wiggins, Teape and Loder, wholesale stationers of Aldgate; remaining partners were Edward Wiggins and Hananaih Teape
c1852 The company was known as Wiggins, Teape, Carter and Barlow.
1859 Hananiah Teape left the partnership with John Dowding Carter and Francis William Barlow, carrying on business as Wiggins, Teape and Co
1880 The company started manufacturing its own paper.
1888 Richard Teape left the partnership with Edward Percy Barlow as paper makers and wholesale stationers as Wiggins, Teape and Co
1889 The company bought a mill near Chorley, Lancashire.
1890 The company was registered on 29 May, to carry on the business of wholesale stationers and paper makers. 
1899 On 29 May, re-registration took place in connection with an increase of capital.
1914 Paper manufacturers and wholesale stationers. Specialities: high-class machine-made papers, ledger and bank papers and typewriting papers. 
1919 Became a public company. The company possessed a chain of mills throughout the country, devoted to the manufacture of fine writing papers.
1933 Opened greaseproof paper mills at Dartford to supply greaseproof paper, glazed, transparent and glassine.
1934 See Wiggins, Teape and Co: 1934 Review.
1957 Company name changed.
1961 Own 11 paper mills in UK. Employ 10,700 persons. 
1970 Wiggins Teape became a wholly owned subsidiary of the BAT Industries group.
1990 Merged with Appleton Papers Inc, another member of the BAT Industries group and renamed Wiggins Teape Appleton plc. Floated on the London Stock Exchange as publicly quoted group.
1991 Merged with Arjomari Prioux SA of France and renamed Arjo Wiggins Appleton plc.
2000 Became a wholly-owned member of the Worms et Cie SA. group of France
2001 Appleton Papers Inc was bought by its employees and demerged from the Arjo Wiggins Appleton group.
The paper-making businesses now trade as ArjoWiggins whilst the merchanting businesses operate internationally as Antalis, the largest paper merchant in Europe.
The History of Wiggins Teape Group from the Spring/Summer 1966 Quarterly Magazine of Samuel Jones and Co (Vol 44 No.1.)
"... The year 1761 is accepted as the year in which the business of Wiggins Teape began in what was then the partnership of Edwards and Jones, Paper Merchants and Wholesale Stationers at No. 10 Aldgate London and the Group in fact celebrated its Bi-Centenary in 1961. (No. 10 was afterwards 10/11 a famous watermark too - until 1933.)
The oldest existing document relating to the early years however is dated 1799 some months after Nelson's victory of the Nile and this is a signed agreement between Richard Jones, Thomas Leventhorp and Jeremiah James, whose partnership in the business continued until 1815 when Leventhorp and James died. Jones carried on the business by himself for a year but decided that he needed assistance and he took on three partners one of whom was Edward Wiggins who had been an employee of the firm from 1799.
The others were Samuel Robinson and George Hedley. In 1816 therefore the name Wiggins appeared for the first time on the firm's letterheads and three years later the name Henry Teape who was 'King's Printer" appeared as a partner. By 1852 when there was no longer a Jones connected with the firm, the business was being carried on under the title of Wiggins, Teape Carter and Barlow. The Wiggins in the firm was still the same Edward Wiggins, the Teape was Hannaniah, a son of Henry Teape and the others in the partnership were John Dowding Carter and Francis William Barlow.
Edward Wiggins retired in 1856 and three years later Richard Teape a son of Hannaniah had taken his father's place. The firm first became paper makers in 1880, following the purchase of Downton Mill near Salisbury, and within the space often years there was a significant accumulation of mills with names like Chorley Glory and Dover coming into the picture. Then after becoming a private limited company in 1889 Wiggins Teape became a public company in 1919 bearing the title Wiggins Teape and Co. (1919) Ltd.
From 1920 up to the beginning of the Second World War the Group expanded rapidly. There were several important acquisitions and merger and it could be said that in this period the pattern for the world-wide ramifications of the Group in the making and selling of paper emerged.
Devon Valley Mill (Hele Paper Co.) Stoneywood and Waterton Mills (Alex Pirie and Sons) came into the Group bringing their valuable know-how in paper making with them and along with Alex Pirie's there was acquired the stationery and manufacturing firm of Pirie, Appleton. A series of amalgamations for the purpose of extending the merchanting side resulted in the purchase of Charles Morgan and Co. with it provincial branches; there was a merger with Portals (John Allen and Sons) mills at Ivybridge, Keighley and St. Neots (the latter being acquired in 1950 by Samuel Jones) and this merger also incorporated Chartham and Roughway (Wm. Howard and Sons); Polton (Annandale and Sons) and Basted Paper Mills were added and then Dartford (Dartford Paper Mills at one time the Daily Telegraph Mills) St. Mary Cray (Wm. Joyn on and Son) and Hylton (Ford Paper Works) were absorbed into the Group. Greaseproof Paper Mills were erected on an adjoining site to Dartford.
The overseas developments, in addition to Pirie's representation at Sydney Calcutta and Cape Town included new branches at Melbourne Johannesburg, Durban, Wellington, Auckland, Madras Buenos Aires and Port Elizabeth; and the pre-war period also was an extension of the selling activities in India South America Europe Canada and the Far East.
Following the outbreak of the Second World War, raw material were scarce but the Group by careful planning overcame many difficulties in keeping customers supplied. It had, too, during the London blitz lost a large quantity of paper when one of its warehouses was destroyed by fire.
The Group made four distinctive contribution to the war effort. Glory Mill made all the photographic base paper for air reconnaissance and other photo work; Gateway tracing paper was made at Chartham for use by aircraft and engineering draughtsmen; Stoneywood diverted it paper making activities to manufacturing Churchill tank turrets and at Chadwell Heath products like shell containers and petrol tanks were made.
By the end of the war every mill was in need of a major overhaul and some major replacements of machinery were carried out. A new mill was built at Bridgend in South Wales; the Group extended its business to Dublin; there was a huge amalgamation which brought in Thomas Owen and Co's Ely Mills (Cardiff) and New Bury Mills (Lancashire), and then came the Treforest Mills of British Coated Board and Paper Mills providing the facilities required for the production of NCR (No Carbon Required) paper, and the opening of Sudbrook Paper Mill. In New South Wales, Australia the Group started the Shoalhaven Mill. New branches were formed at Bombay, Karachi, Hong Kong, Perth, Adelaide Bloemfontein, Salisbury, Lagos Kuala Lumpur, Ndola, New York Beirut and Lahore, and the acquisition by Charles Morgan and Co. of Lendrums (Export) Ltd. and associated companies, provided offices in Singapore and Tokyo.
In 1955 the Group acquired Griffith and Diggens Ltd., Waxed Papers Ltd., and British Waxed Wrappings Ltd. and shortly afterwards three others, Aston and Full Ltd., F. S. Flegg and Co. Ltd. and Keighley Paper Mills Ltd. thus extending the Group's activities in the conversion of paper. The Group has a 50 percent interest with Smith and Nephew Ltd., in Associated Tissues Ltd. (the company which runs Bridgend Mill).
In 1961 certain of the Groups paper making interests were merged with those of the British American Tobacco Co. Ltd., and a joint holding company called Millbank Paper Co. Ltd., was formed. To this the Group's contribution was made up of Glory Mill, the W.T. Australian companies (including Shoalhaven Mill), the branches in India, and investments in S.A.P.P.I. The mills originally owned by B.A.T. which came into Millbank comprised Stubbins (Lancashire), Tribeni (India) and Pirahy (Brazil). Witcel S.A.I.C. with its mill at Zarate (Argentina) was transferred to Mill bank and the Group in 1962 acquired a majority of the shares of Papeteries Delcroix S.A. Nivelles, Belgium on behalf of Mill bank. By arrangement with B.A.T. Millbank became a wholly owned subsidiary of the Group in 1963.